Important Information for Substitute Teachers and Nurses
Scroll down for information on non-certificated substitute positions (custodians, teacher assistants)
Application packets for substitute employment are available at the Newton Board of Education, 57 Trinity Street, Newton, NJ. If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher or nurse in the Newton School District please read the following information which details the procedures to follow and the costs involved. You can obtain all the forms and instructions by emailing Janet Mosner at email@example.com or by calling 973-383-7392 ext. 4226. In addition to possessing one of the following certificates, all applicants must complete a criminal history background check through MorphoTrust, either through original scan or archive (if qualified). If you are currently substituting at another public school district and have completed a criminal history review through MorphoTrust, you may be approved by transferring your criminal history approval through the Department of Education.
Substitute teachers earn $85/day. To be a substitute teacher in the Newton School District you will need one of the following:
- Standard Teaching Certificate
- CE (Certificate of Eligibility)
- CEAS (Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing)
- Substitute Certificate
Substitute school nurses earn $150/day. To be a substitute nurse in the Newton School District you will need one of the following:
- Standard School Nurse Certificate and valid NJ Registered Nurse License
- Substitute School Nurse Certificate and valid NJ Registered Nurse License
If you do not hold any of the above certificates, we will assist you in applying for your Substitute Credential. The procedure for obtaining your Substitute Credential for the first time is as follows:
- New applicants must be fingerprinted through MorphoTrust. The cost is $65.45 plus a $11 administrative processing fee. Instructions will be provided upon request.
- Applicants must submit official transcripts that show a minimum of 60 credits completed at an accredited college.
- Applicants applying for a Substitute School Nurse Certificate must provide a valid RN license.
Important information for substitute bus drivers, custodians, teacher assistants and secretaries
The Newton School district is currently seeking substitute bus drivers, custodians, teacher assistants and secretaries. All applicants must be fingerprinted through MorphoTrust, or be eligible to archive their criminal history record check. Instructions and forms are available by emailing Janet Mosner at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 973-383-7392 ext. 4226.
In addition to a criminal history background check, new substitute bus drivers must pass a driving test administered by our Head Bus Driver, and possess the following:
- A valid Class B CDL license with P (passenger) and S (school bus) endorsements
- A current physical examination report performed by a physician listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.
- Excellent driving record
For more information and for assistance in becoming a substitute bus driver, please contact Colleen Waselik at email@example.com, call 973-383-7392 ext. 4228.