Welcome Parents & Students
“Social Media on the Spectrum:
How to keep your KIDS on the spectrum SAFE ONLINE and how to help your “mainstream” kids be leaders, helpers & friends ”
Take a SPLASH-
Don't let a stranger get your alert!!!! Please let the main office know of any telephone number changes.
In the Newton Public Schools, we recognize the integral role you play in your child's education. We appreciate that you support our schools and reinforce a number of valuable messages for your children, such as responsibility, accountability, respect for rules, and regard for others.
As educators, our goal will always be to work together with parents to create an educational environment which enables every child to grow successfully into adulthood.
We welcome your involvement and we encourage you to take the following actions to ensure your child is successful in school:
- get acquainted with the educators who have the responsibility of teaching your children;
- learn how your schools operate and are funded;
- learn what is being taught to your children, and;
- lend a helping hand with student activities supervision.
We are aware of the special role we play in ensuring the physical and emotional safety of our children. The Newton Public Schools take a proactive approach to safety and security with the following critical elements in place:
- Each school has a Safety Team to review building-based procedures and address emergent issues as they occur.
- Each school's Safety Team conducted a security audit in January/February 2013 to make recommendations that will enhance school security.
- The district Safety and Security Plan is reviewed and revised annually to ensure prepared responses to emergency situations.
- Each school conducts monthly safety drills together with local emergency responders to practice safe evacuation, lockdown, and shelter in-place routines.
- Our school counselors, psychologists, and social workers have experience and training in dealing with tragic loss and recovery. We have strong relationships with community-based resources as well.
- TRS (Trust-Respect-Support) is our K-12 program for character education consisting of in-class and extracurricular experiences to promote the social-emotional development of all our students.
Please feel free to call Dr. Greene, Superintendent of Schools, at 973-383-7392 or your school principal if you have any questions or concerns.
Parents are the most important adults in helping their children to feel safe away from home. The attached links and documents are resources to help parents enhance their child's safety at home as well.
In the Spring of 2015, New Jersey schools transitioned to a new statewide assessment as part of a group of nineteen states. The group of states, called the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC), has been working for the last several years to develop tests that are aligned to the Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics that were adopted by the NJ State Board of Education in 2010.
The Newton Public Schools participated in the field testing of these new assessments in Spring 2014. The attached presentation may help families understand PARCC implementation.
The attached documents are here to help parents establish a PowerSchool account to monitor their student's grades and attendance.
There is a short video available via YouTube on using the Parent and Student Portals.
mLearning guides are digital books with interactive modules available as a free download through the iBooks bookstore. The mLearning Guide titled PowerSchool Student and Parent Portals is available free.