Welcome to the Guidance Corner!
Chris Boyle, Guidance Counselor
Upon entering Halsted Middle School each student as well as their family has access to the Halsted Guidance Department. I look forward to working with both the students and their families to ensure that their four years at Halsted are both enjoyable as well as successful.
The philosophy of the counseling program in Halsted Middle School is that school counseling is an essential, integral part of the educaitonal process. I offer a comprehensive, developmental counseling program addressing the academic, personal and social development of all students. As an advocate for the individual student I recognize each of their individual qualities, strenghths, and potential. I look forward to working with students, parents, and educators to make each student a contributing member of the Halsted/Newton family, and becoming the best they can be.
There are many issues and concerns that may come up during the middle school years. Some but not all of the things a counselor can help with are....
- Assisting students to make decisions about friends, relationships, and/or other social concerns
- Learning to cope with the many academic challenges and personal situations that students face
- Develping positive self-esteem and character traits
- Discussing courses and levels to enhance student's performance
- Providing study skill amd organizational strategies
- Supporting the families as their child progresses through the middle school years
- Facilitating the transition from Middle School to High School