We are aware of the special role we play in ensuring the physical and emotional safety of our children. The Newton Public Schools take a proactive approach to safety and security with the following critical elements in place:
- Each school has a Safety Team to review building-based procedures and address emergent issues as they occur.
- Each school's Safety Team conducted a security audit in January/February 2013 to make recommendations that will enhance school security.
- The district Safety and Security Plan is reviewed and revised annually to ensure prepared responses to emergency situations.
- Each school conducts monthly safety drills together with local emergency responders to practice safe evacuation, lockdown, and shelter in-place routines.
- Our school counselors, psychologists, and social workers have experience and training in dealing with tragic loss and recovery. We have strong relationships with community-based resources as well.
- TRS (Trust-Respect-Support) is our K-12 program for character education consisting of in-class and extracurricular experiences to promote the social-emotional development of all our students.
Please feel free to call Dr. Greene, Superintendent of Schools, at 973-383-7392 or your school principal if you have any questions or concerns.
Parents are the most important adults in helping their children to feel safe away from home. The attached links and documents are resources to help parents enhance their child's safety at home as well.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.